Work is progressing on a new Circle K convenience store on the corner of Powderhouse and Whiskey roads on Aiken’s Southside.
A sign on the property shows an image of what the business will look like and indicates that the construction will be completed soon.
For years, the area was known as Mundy’s Corner. The late Donald H. Mundy, who was a native of Aiken County, operated a service station there. He retired in 1993 and died in 2015.
After Mundy’s death, the building complex there that included the service station was demolished.
According to the Circle K website, there are more there 20 Circle K stores in Aiken and the surrounding area.
The convenience store chain got its start in 1951 when Fred Hervey bought three Kay’s Food Stores in El Paso, Texas.
By 1975, there were 1,000 Circle K stores across the United States.
Circle K entered the international market in 1979 when a licensing agreement established the first Circle K stores in Japan.
By the mid-1980s, sales reached $1 billion, and in 1999, a franchise program was introduced.
Alimentation Couche-Tard acquired Circle K in 2003.
Circle K has developed into a global brand that is represented in more than 20 countries.